As promised in my previous post, here is the recipe for one of the quick breads I made for the February Daring Bakers challenge. The bread was a bit of a throw in whats in the fridge recipe, luckily there was chorizo in the fridge, which i think is almost impossible to go wrong with. The bread turned out a little dry due to an unreliable oven that refuses to rise above 150 degrees, therefore I had to cook it for much longer than I should have!
The quick bread was loosely based on a recipe for Caramelized Onion, Spinach and Olive oil quick bread from Cookin’ Canuck, but ended up quite different, as I had to substitute a lot of ingredients!
3 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1 jar roasted red peppers, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp herbs de provence.
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
1. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion to the pan, with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the onions are golden brown, about 10 additional minutes.
3.Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the onions, then stir in garlic and peppers. Cook about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
4. Whisk together flour, herbs baking powder, and salt.
5. In a large bowl, combine eggs, lightly beaten, milk, and extra-virgin olive oil. Whisk well until combined.
6. Pour the flour mixture into the eggs mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix or the bread will become tough. Add onion, pepper mix and stir until just combined.
7. Grease a loaf pan and line with grease proof paper. Add batter to tin.
8. Bake until the top is for about 25 minutes then remove from oven and quickly grate Parmesan over the loaf, return to oven for another 10-15 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan, and cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve with butter or cheddar cheese.
Makes 1 loaf of bread.