My third installment of February’s Daring Bakers challenge was a mandarin yoghurt cake. Mostly because I had a lot of mandarins to use up! To make the cake taste more strongly of mandarin, I boiled the mandarins in their skins until very soft, and then blitzed the whole lot up with the stick blender and put the lot in the cake, skins and all!
The recipe is adapted from My Fabulous Recipes
Mandarin Yoghurt Cake
2/3 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup thick natural/Greek yoghurt
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Boil mandarins in a saucepan until soft (about 15 minutes)
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blitz boiled mandarins in food processor or with stick blender
- Add yogurt and mandarin to eggs and sugar
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Add the wet mixture and beat until smooth
- Pour into two medium sized greased bread pans
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 45-50 minute until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean if poked in the middle of the bread.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
Serve with lemon yoghurt icing(recipe below)
Lemon Yoghurt Icing
3/4 cup natural yoghurt
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp butter softened
1. Beat yogurt, butter and icing sugar until smooth.
2. Add lemon juice and refrigerate to firm up a bit.