One of the dishes I remember my mum making when I was growing up was Tuna Mornay with chips (crisps) on top. I remember the topping was lovely and crunchy and as the weather has become slightly more wintery recently, I was in the mood for a nice winter comfort food. I have never made Tuna Mornay before, but after a quick internet search I had a rough idea of what should be in the recipe and decided to give it a crack with what I had in the cupboard.
The result was a tasty, cheesy winter warmer, rather like a jazzed up macaroni and cheese! It also contained enough veggies to make it seem moderately healthy. The chips added a lovely crispy crust and contrasted well with the creamy tuna.
I think this recipe would work well with a variety of vegetables and it’s particularly good if you only have frozen veggies in. I used carrots, frozen peas, and tinned corn, but I think spinach, mushrooms, pumpkin or zucchini might also work nicely. The recipe freezes well and also reheats well the next day in the oven (better!) or microwave , although to avoid soggy chips I would add some fresh chips when reheating to maintain the crispness.
Tuna Mornay with Chip Topping
500g of tinned tuna in oil/water well drained
1 small tin corn kernels
2 carrots diced into small squares
3/4 cup frozen peas
2 Tbsp plain flour
3 Tbsp butter
3/4 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
1 bag plain potato chips (crisps)
1 1/2 cups cooked pasta such as macaroni or penne
salt and pepper to season
1. Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente
2. Boil eggs for about 10 minutes or until hard boiled.
3. Cook diced carrots in a little water in a saucepan until soft, drain and set aside.
4. Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan and add flour stirring well to combine.
5. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuosly
6. Add milk little by little, whisking well all the time.
7. Cook over medium heat until sauce thickens slightly, about 7 minutes, whisking continuously to prevent lumps.
8. Remove from heat and add grated cheddar cheese.
9. Place drained tuna, cooked pasta, carrots, corn, peas, chopped eggs and cheese sauce into an oven proof dish and mix well to combine.
10. Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with crushed chips.
11. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and bake at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes until top is slightly browned (if browning too fast cover with tin foil).