Well this was my first attempt at a Swiss roll and I’m quite happy with the result, although I would probably skip the white chocolate icing on top in the future. The whole thing was just a bit too sweet!
The cake cracked slightly on rolling, but I put this down to the fact that I made it a week in advance and froze it. The sponge had a nice flexible texture before freezing and I think it would have rolled well then! The taste was unspoilt by a week in the freezer, but the texture was slightly more brittle.
I adapted the roll recipe from one I found on this blog The Pleasure Monger
And then created the filling and icing myself. I think the icing could replace the filling if you prefer the white chocolate and coconut combo, but both together will have you bouncing off the walls for hours! See Surf’s Up cake.
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
35g unsalted butter
50g plain flour
10g corn flour
3/4 cup coconut milk
3 egg whites
85 caster sugar
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 12 inch by 9 inch cake pan with baking paper.
2. Combine 1 egg, 3 egg yolks, and vanilla in a small bowl and lightly beat. Set this mixture aside.
3. Heat butter in a small saucepan over low heat until butter is melted. Add sifted flour to melted butter and cook till you get a dough that comes away from the sides of the pan. Remove this dough to a bowl, and add the egg mixture from Step 2 in small amounts. Gradually mix the dough and egg mixture into a smooth batter with each addition. Add coconut milk and dessicated coconut to the batter and mix well.
4. In a clean bowl, whip up egg whites till foamy. Add half of the sugar and beat for a few minutes, then add the remaining sugar and beat till stiff and glossy peaks are formed.
5. Gently fold one-third of this meringue mixture into the batter. Fold in the remaining meringue until just mixed in.
6.Pour this batter into the cake pan and smooth the surface out with a scraper. Bake the sponge for 18 minutes.
7. Remove the tray from the oven, loosely cover the cake with a piece of aluminium foil to retain moisture and prevent cracking, place it on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Coconut Cream Cheese Mousse Filling:
250g cream cheese
50g dark chocolate
1 cup dessicated coconut
3/4 cup icing sugar
1. Melt chocolate over stove on in microwave.
2. Mix other ingredients into the chocolate and whisk with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
3. Spread a generous amount of mousse in the centre of your roll cake, leaving spaces at the edges.
4. Gently roll cake and wipe any excess filling that squirts out the ends.
5. If you want a professional looking cake cut each end off to produce a smooth finish.
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing (optional filling or to go on top if you have a massive sweet tooth!)
250g cream cheese
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
150g white chocolate
1. Melt white chocolate in microwave or over stove (watch it carefully, it burns very quickly if you turn your back!)
2. Whisk cream cheese and butter together in a bowl until fluffy and then add melted chocolate and icing sugar. (icing will be runny, but will thicken as chocolate cools!)