You can never have too many good chocolate cakes in your repertoire. I currently have two foolproof favourites which I whip up when time is short, or I just want something that goes down well with the crowds. But I am constantly looking for something a little bit different to mix it up a bit and the addition of vegetables and ingredients usually confined to savoury dishes to chocolate cake seems like a good way to achieve this. And as an added bonus it has vegetables in it…so it has to be healthy right? Being Halloween and Autumn in Spain, Pumpkin is the way to go in terms of in season veggies, so Pumpkin Chocolate cake it was!
This recipe is based on Dan Lepards’ Pumpkin Chocolate Mud Cake, but whilst in the process of baking it I was distracted by the spice rack and ended up lobbing a load in thinking that cinnamon goes nicely with chocolate, as does chilli, but nutmeg goes nicely with pumpkins…so lets have them all in there!
The result was less of a pumpkin chocolate cake and more of a spicy chocolate cake, perhaps the quantity of spices over powered the taste of the pumpkin a bit. But it was still a nice moist, dense chocolaty cake with a distinct chilli hit, in fact if you don’t like hot foods you should probably reduce this, or maybe serve it with a glass of milk to quell the fire in your mouth! I used Donna Hays’ Chocolate cream cheese icing, as this is my current favourite icing and the cream cheese goes nicely with the spices and cools the whole thing down a bit! It was meant to have nuts too, which I think would add a nice crunch to the texture, but I forgot to buy them!
Being a mud cake, it stays moist for a long time and also freezes well, (I made it a week ahead and it was absolutely fine). So celebrate Halloween with a cake featuring the best of the seasons ingredients (pumpkin and chocolate), or if you just fancy something a little bit outside the box with a hint of spice, whip one up!
250g dark chocolate broken into peices
275g soft brown sugar
275ml cold water
3tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
200g grated pumpkin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans/ wanuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
2. Line 20cm square/round cake tin with baking paper
3. Melt chocolate and butter in microwave or over a pan of boiling water on the stove.
4. Beat eggs and sugar until smooth, then add chocolate mixture and stir through
5. Beat in water and vanilla -mix will be very runny!
6. Add flour, baking powder and spices and stir to combine.
7. Stir through pumpkin and nuts if you want them.
8. Pour into prepared tin and bake for approx. 60 mins or until cake is solid, but with a slight spring.
9. Cool and ice.
Donna Hays Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
250g cream cheese
50g butter (softened)
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cocoa powder
1. Cream butter and cheese together in electric mixer until smooth and creamy (5-6 mins)
2. Stir in sugar and cocoa and whip until smooth with no lumps.