Breadhead here! Now you may ask what’s the point in making your own burger buns? Well, the simple answer is because I like to. I really enjoy making my own bread, pasta etc. Although they are basic things are available in all supermarkets, I like the feeling of making something from real, crude, ingredients, like flour and butter, and watching it transform into a totally different product. My approach is, if I can make it myself, I will give it a go. There is something deeply satisfying and even therapeutic about mixing, kneading and rising your own bread, and the smell from the kitchen is unbeatable! These burger buns are really good, light, ever so slightly sweet, with a soft crumb. Give them a try, with a nice juicy homemade burger (recipe to follow!) and your choice of condiments.
Makes 8 buns
3 tablespoons warm milk
235ml warm water
1 sachet active dry yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
400g strong White bread flour
40g plain White flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 extra egg to glaze (beaten lightly)
Sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional)
- In a bowl combine the water, milk yeast and sugar and allow to stand for 5 mins.
- In another bowl Combine flours, salt and butter cubed and rub mixture between your fingers till it becomes breadcrumby
- Add liquids and a beaten egg to the flour mix and combine to rough sticky dough (leave 10mins.)
- On worksurface put teaspoon of oil and smear around and on your hands.
- Take dough and lift up a side and drop it on top in a folding motion for 10 seconds.
- Wash bowl with water and oil it lightly.
- Return dough to bowl and cover with a tea towel for10min.
- Knead for 10 seconds again. Return to bowl leave for a further 10mins.
- Repeat 10 second knead one more time then leave for 1 hour to rise.
- Knead for10 seconds and then divide into eight roughly equal pieces.
- Lightly flour work surface and dough and shape into buns. Place on floured baking tray and cover with clean cloth.
- Leave for 1 hour or until roughly doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celcius.
- Glaze with egg and sprinkle with seeds if desired.
- Place a baking tray with boiling water in the base of the oven and bake for 15 to 20minutes or until light brown and hollow sounding when tapped on base.